Friday, September 23, 2011

Personal Stories Rewind

Well my January vision for myself was to be in Kaunas Lithuania about now but as with so many things, life had other plans for me.  But I can truthfully say that the journey to not getting there has been wonderful. I learned about various grant opportunities even if I didn't get one. I taught myself to make a video so I could plead for money on Kickstarter.  Didn't reach my goal on that either.  I figure folks were not really interested in the project and I can always use that information to get better next time.  But I remain thankful to Bertrijs Sterk of the European Textile Network for letting me know about the Kaunas Textile Biennial.  She has been EXTREMELY (and I mean that in all caps) supportive in my efforts to get to Kaunas.  An additional thanks to Virginija Vitkiene, curator of the Personal Stories Rewind project,  for her support and encouragement throughout the process.

But my travel efforts did not seem to fall into place and now I know it was with reason since my sister's husband, Micah Reynols, lost his battle with pancreatic cancer on Thursday morning and I am needed here more than I was needed there.

In the meantime, many wonderful opportunities continue to come my way.  The Personal Stories Rewind Project has been exciting to participate in in and I am including one of my favorite pieces in the project.  I had the chance to lecture at a couple of guild meetings this summer and this pieces was among the best received works in my presentation.  You will be able to see all of the pieces on the opening page of my website on Sunday. 
 


Downtown is 58" x 51.5" and includes several found objects, photo transfers, thread writing and machine quilting.  It reminds me of my childhood when we dressed up on Saturday to go shopping.  Of course this is reminiscent of the time period but it was also a safety factor for "Negroes" so we would be less suspect to shop keepers.  This is all part of my personal story of growing up in the segregated south of the 1950's and 1960's.

You will be able to see the work of other artists participating in the project by visiting this link.

http://www.bienale.lt/2011/?lang=en

I'll keep you posted on my other upcoming projects including the 1st Annual Cultural Arts Award Ceremony and Quilt Exhibit honoring Faith Ringgold beginning Thrusday October 6, 2011 through December 2, 2011 at Aaron Davis Hall Center for the Performing and Visual Arts, West 135t Street at Convent Avenue, New York, NY.  The show is curated by Dr. Myrah Brown Green.  Also I'll be showcasing the Paper Quilt Project opening in October 15, 2011 at the Berkeley Art Center.  The paper quilt for this project  was made in collaboration with partner, Nyls Jongewaard.  This exhibit is curated by Lena Wolff.  I'll be showing these pieces after they open for exhibit.

This week was the closing of the Civil War Quilt Exhibit at the McMinn County Living Heritage Museum in Athens, TN.  I'll be showing that quilt when I get it back later this month.

In the meantime, enjoy this first day of Fall 2011 and be good to yourself.  Here's to Micah Reynolds and all his good deeds to so many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment