Thursday, December 13, 2012

Quilt Week 2012

Well there's nothing quite like taking a long trip and becoming one year older to get anyone's creative juices going.  It was my good fortune to be invited as a guest artist for the 20th anniversary of Quilt Week Yokohama 2012.  Patchwork Tsushin editor Naomi Ichikawa invited me to participate and made sure the exhibit and lecture experience was excellent.  I want to thank the entire Quilt Week Executive Committee for their generosity and kindness.  Our translators Ayu and Noriko were wonderful before and during the event.



My life and art partner, Nyls and I enjoyed every moment of the trip even when we our flight was cancelled and we had to shift to another airline.  We rolled with the punches and  made it to Yokohama in time to  fall fast asleep in our Pan Pacific Hotel room.  We had a chance to enjoy a great view of the Cosmosworld Ferris-wheel as it  changed lights and kept excellent time.


Opening day brought large crowds focused on seeing the latest quilt creations and of course SHOPPING.
I was very pleased to see my work exhibited in such a dynamic way.  Thirty quilts were included in the exhibit.  I gave two lectures and participated in a talk show format with Naomi and Alice Beasley, the other other American artist.  We had the good fortune to meet Jen Jones and see her collection of Welsh Quilts.



                                                      Opening Day Crowds


                                                               Opening Remarks


Opening Lecture with translator Ayu to my right.



                                  Opening to Exhibit with large quilts handing from ceiling



No comments:

Post a Comment